For as long as I can remember, I told people "I can't run." But in March of 2009, I decided that this was no longer an option. From my first 5K to my second half marathon, I've endured my highest highs and lowest lows as an official Runner. This year I want to embrace running for something beyond times and distances.

Running is so much more than merely getting out there. I want to get out there and love it.

Sunday, April 19, 2009

End of Week 5

I am officially half way through the first 10 Week stage! And today's run actually made me a little fearful of my weeks to come. It was pretty hard! I don't know if it was because I had used up all my energy cleaning the apartment all afternoon, or perhaps the not-that-light rainstorm I was running in, or leftover dehydration from the drunken shenanigans on Friday night...but it was hard. And made me wonder if I can run for six minutes straight. I mean I know I can, but is it going to be completely awful?? I can't psyche myself out, I just can't.

In any case, I ran with a new pair of insoles that my stepdad bought me!!! I'm not sure if they worked for my knee just yet?? I'll have to see how I feel tomorrow. Although if anything ruined my knees it was the giant hill I had to run up from Water St up to Van Buren OUCH!!! David you were right about that spot in Al's Run!! I'm really going to have to keep it seriously slow at the beginning of that race in order to get up that thing.

Anyway STATS:

Week 5 Stats:
Walk 1 Min/Run 5 Min (24 mins total)
Total Distance: 6.75 mi
Ave Distance: 2.25 mi/day
Ave Time: ~10:50 min mi

Good stuff! This week I run/walk for 28 minutes...that's quite awhile! But I think I'm ready :)

2 comments:

  1. I can remember reading in a study that said runners can generally run 3 times as far as their current distance before completely falling apart. Which means, Katie, that right now you can probably run for 15 minutes straight if you wanted to.

    Learn to embrace hills. Running up hills is probably the best way to get fit and strong quickly. It's also easier on the body, poundingwise, than running downhill. If you can incorporate some hills into your route when you have to run for longer amounts of time, it will only ultimately benefit you. It will also give you that instant sense of accomplishment that's so important to staying positive.

    Running in the rain is fun. Running in heavy, sodden clothing and shoes is not. A critical difference that I failed to point out yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a lot of hills in during my run down in Chi!! I think that was excellent practice! I'm trying to run more downtown than the lakefront to get in the hills as well. I know that will VERY much benefit me down the line even if it means for more difficult runs :)

    ReplyDelete