For as long as I can remember, I told people "I can't run." But in March of 2009, I decided that this was no longer an option. From my first 5K to my second half marathon, I've endured my highest highs and lowest lows as an official Runner. This year I want to embrace running for something beyond times and distances.

Running is so much more than merely getting out there. I want to get out there and love it.

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Half Training - Week One

Alright, so first of all, I decided to get super Miss Organizized about this whole half marathon situation. I was hemming and hawing about it for the last few weeks because I'm the opposite of prepared. But because I always need a swift quick in the ass when it comes to motivation, there's nothing like training for a half marathon out of nowhere to kick you swiftly in the ass. Ok, well, not completely out of nowhere. Minus the month hiatus, I'm a couple months shy of a year of running. I've run a small fistful of 5Ks and one 8K. The thing is...13.1 miles ain't no 5 miles. The longest I've run is 7.25mi at around a 9:18min mile pace and it wasn't even that taxing. That was stellar for me. This Sunday I ran 4mi at just a few seconds under 10min miles and it was...kinda taxing. Meh. So for this reason, I need to focus, work hard, and stop looking back. I kind of see this whole thing as me starting running for the first time, like back in March of '09...only on a grander scale.

Oh and WHY am I doing this?? Two reasons. 1. I've already touched on: I hear more and more 'beginner' runners going for this goal this spring, and I'm like say wah?? "If they can do it, I sure can!" I'm a sucker for competition. And 2. I think my running personality is more distance than speed. I have a runner friend who is just so stellar at races and I hope she starts getting all sorts of huge crazy trophies and stuff! Meanwhile, that won't be me, but that's all good! I'll have distance be my running goals. I'm down!

So with that said, the following is a schedule I sort of based off of Hal Higdon's 'Novice' schedule.


The main change I made personally was to up the mileage more quickly so I could get up to 14 miles three weeks before the Half, and then I could taper. I was feeling a little weird about having race day be the day I get up to that mileage...situations like that make me want to vom on race day. And then I read a similar sentiment on a fellow runner's blog, so I couldn't help but agree. Now, for those people out there who don't care about a time, or don't even care if they walk, just so they complete the mileage somehow...then the training becomes more flexible! But I'm psychotic. I can't walk during a race...any race. I can't even walk during my runs! I started my running career with a 10 week walk/run interval schedule, and once I was able to run straight for 3-4 miles, I didn't look back. Thus, it is my personal stance that, for me, this half marathon MUST be a running half marathon through and through. And that, of course, makes it all the more daunting!

In addition to the running, I've got cross of course. Before I started running I did workouts like Pilates and "twist step" (a stair type machine). In the past year, all I've done was run. I think when you boost your goal so intensely, you should probably really cross train hey? So via the magic of Netflix and Roku, I can stream workout DVDs from my internet connection to my tv...awesome. I've got Yoga, Pilates, Kickboxing, Weights, even Dance, that I'll sprinkle in throughout the week. Also, I know putting a smaller distance race into your training is always a good idea, so I'll probably do the Steve Cullen Healthy Heart 8K on Feb. 13th.

At the end of the day, I really have no goal time, and I'm not even going to think about a goal time. Like, I don't even know what a good goal time would BE for someone like me. All I want is to run the crazy thing in its entirety. And not pass out at the end.

ANYWAY! Week One was this past week. I ran three 3mi days (including a 5K race) and one 4miler. I did some yoga, but no other cross. I got that all organized tonight for the remaining 11 weeks. So yeah...we'll see about this whole crazy thing! I'm not going about it lightly. I'm not one to say: yeah cool, I'll do that no problem! I'm scared shitless and it's three months away. But being scared shitless gets me running. And just think...bikini season what?? Hahaha!

8 comments:

  1. You got me all fired up about this now Katie. The first tip I can give you is that walking during a long race like a half marathon could do wonders. Even slower running for a minute or two once in awhile within the race can give the muscles you're using for faster running a bit of a recovery during your race. Try this during your 14 miler. Fast walking for about 30 seconds to a minute after each 5 miles might help. The trick is to recover before your body REALLY needs a recovery or just wants to quit. I ran my 3:10:16 marathon by doing this. GOOD LUCK!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet!! Thanks Drew!! I need stuff like this :) I can definitely tone it way down for breaks. I'll try the fast walking once I get up there...I can see where that would help! Like give me a much needed boost. Any more advice you have, please send my way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations girl!! Good call on the milage...totally! You'll rock it....eye on the prize!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww thanks so much!! Reading through your blog has been pretty inspiring, I have to admit! As I said, I know quite a few people attempting half marathons this spring, and I'm actually quite excited to see how everyone fairs :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad

    Have you picked out a half yet?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sure do! The South Shore...it's right by my place, so I can just basically walk on over :) It looks like the same day as yours, so we can e-celebrate together haha!!

    http://www.badgerlandstriders.org/home/Races/SouthShoreHalfMarathon.htm

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a great race! It is the same day as mine. I avoided signing up for one until they brought one to my front door...LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You gotta start off that way I think! It makes the race more "cozy" if that makes ANY sense?? I'll be super nervous that day, but at least I'll feel more at home!

    ReplyDelete