For as long as I can remember, I told people "I can't run." But in March of 2009, I decided that this was no longer an option. From my first 5K to my second half marathon, I've endured my highest highs and lowest lows as an official Runner. This year I want to embrace running for something beyond times and distances.

Running is so much more than merely getting out there. I want to get out there and love it.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Fire Side Chats

You know who is inspiring? Other runners. Like real live ones.

Last night I joined in on a 200ish person training run at Ronald McDonald House for the Summerfest Half. It was five miles (or nine if you're a rockstar!) around the Tosa area in a wet sloppy frigid March-style mess. While I wasn't nervous about it, as I've run a dozen races by myself and showed up to many of them all alone...I was sort of lonely on the drive there. I almost posted the training run on Facebook to see if any of my friends happened to be going, but refrained.

Well immediately upon my arrival, a woman started chatting with me! She looked to be late 30s or so and definitely a runner. She was helping out at the event, running the 5mi, but not running the Half in July since the longest she's run is 6mi. I was like, say WHAT girl? You could totally do it! Anyway, she ran with me for a couple miles and apologized a billion times for being so chatty, but I loved it!! I even chimed in...despite the fact that I was trying to hide the sections where I was out of breath ;) She was fast! We parted ways at the end of the run, she told me she'd catch up later.

I joined the runners congregated in the RMH and shoved free pizza, chocolate chip cookies, and Gatorade into my pie hole. Again, I was alone though. I sat with a couple runners and we made small talk, but they mostly chatted with one another. After they left, two 50-something dudes, JB and Joe, sat down and they were awesome!! We all talked about the various races we've run, etc. Joe looked and talked exactly like Kevin Spacey, so that was fun! The woman from earlier (Lorie I think?) sat down with us eventually too.

I left RMH feeling really happy! I had run a solid 5 (in the rain!) with lots of cool, sweet people, and it reminded me that I don't always have to do things by myself. I'm not really a group person. I never really wanted to join a running club like Badgerland Striders or Team in Training...but maybe I shouldn't rule that sort of stuff out.

Well at the very least I can ride this high for a little longer since I am both a. running a race and b. running said race with a FRIEND this Saturday!!! I can already tell I'm going to have a blast even if I don't run my best!

1 comment:

  1. I must say, if I would have been at that race and saw you sitting alone, I would have gone over and sat with you. Infringing on your privacy, be damned! I figure, hey, she's a "runner", she's gotta be cool! At least that's how I look at it. And there is a part of this outgoing, never stop talking chick that seeks out people that are standing by themselves with no one else to talk to. Not sure why...maybe it's because I always hated being the lonely one!

    So glad you had such a great time and met some new friends! Aren't runners great?

    ReplyDelete