For as long as I can remember, I told people "I can't run." But in March of 2009, I decided that this was no longer an option. From my first 5K to my second half marathon, I've endured my highest highs and lowest lows as an official Runner. This year I want to embrace running for something beyond times and distances.

Running is so much more than merely getting out there. I want to get out there and love it.

Monday, April 18, 2011

My heroes.

Just wanted to give a huge shoutout to the subject of my recent blatherings, Beth Risdon. As I previously wrote, she developed a femoral neck stress fracture six months ago, but remained determined to run Boston today. One of those six months were spent in crutches, several not running, and the brunt taking it as easy as her psyche would allow...her longest training run was 15 miles, a mere two miles over a Half Marathon, with the bulk of her training done in a local pool water-running. Training is only half the battle as it was also Beth's determination, guts, and confidence that got her to Boston. Although she was determined to take this race easy as finishing was her main goal, it's quite possible that the last few miles were totally grueling as her physical state began to break down, and she had to rely on sheer will to carry her the rest of the way. And I can only imagine a fraction of the euphoria that triumphed over the pain and exhaustion she felt as she crossed the finish line. I hope, above all else, she felt an enormous sense of pride!

I really don't know Beth from Henrietta, but following her story has been nothing short of inspirational. It's been said that about 1% of the population will run a marathon in their lifetime. I wonder what percentage of the population daydreams about running a marathon, but...just...doesn't. All I'm saying is that seemingly ginormous goals truly are attainable when we work hard at them. Yeah yeah, cliche, but it's an important piece of the puzzle that is so often trumped by giving into adversity (there's no adversity in my life and I STILL have trouble sticking to my goals!)

In any case, here's to people everywhere who set their sights on a goal that is anything but a sure thing. Here's to people who take risks, who own the trials they may face, who earn their accolades for the work they put in. Thanks for being an inspiration to us all!

1 comment: